Service Centers in Ellsworth & Osceola, WI   |   Fireplace Showrooms in Hudson, WI & Hastings, MN  Call Comfort By Design for your Furnace repair in Hastings MN.
Have your home electrical outlets, light fixtures, and wiring inspected by a certified electrician in Ellsworth WI
Like us on facebook for more info on our Furnace repair service in Hudson WI
Check out our Furnace repair videos on Youtube for Hastings MN
Heating • Cooling • Geothermal • Electrical • Plumbing • Fireplaces
Heating • Cooling • Geothermal • Electrical • Plumbing • Fireplaces
 
 
 
(800) 370-6545
 

Air Quality

Air Quality

Geothermal | Air Conditioning & Furnaces | Air Exchangers | Air Quality
Boilers | In Floor Heating | Wood Pellets | Corn/Pellet Heating

Is the Air Quality in your Home Affecting Your Health?

*The average adult inhales 2 tablespoons of household dust daily.

Indoor air is found to be up to 70 times more polluted than outdoor air. The average six room house collects 40 pounds of dust each year. 9 out of 10 systems failures, are caused by the effects of dirt and dust and 50% of all illnesses are caused or aggravated by polluted indoor air.

Mold and Moisture

Mold Basics

The key to mold control is moisture control.
If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem.
It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

Why is mold growing in my home?

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Can mold cause health problems?

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.

Why should I Demand a Carbon Monoxide Test?
It's About Your Health, Safety and Comfort

Carbon monoxide, even in small quantities can cause serious health problems, particularly in child and the elderly. Millions of unsuspecting homeowners are exposed to low levels of CO and don’t even know it. Unfortunately U.L. Listed CO alarms don’t go off until your family has been exposed to 70ppm (parts per million) for over 3-1/2 hours! Most international limits for unsafe levels, including OSHA and the World Health Organization’s guidelines are between at 15-35 ppm. Carbon monoxide can come from additional sources in your home besides your heating equipment, and they should be checked. These sources include you Water Heater, Gas Range, Gas Logs, Space Heater, Boiler – even an attached garage.

Frequently Asked Questions

QUESTION: I have a CO Alarm in my house, shouldn’t this warn me if there is a problem?

ANSWER: If you purchased your alarm from a store, it will usually only warm you of a life threatening condition. If you read the fine print on the product’s UL listing, you ‘ll find it offers little protection from children, the elderly, or persons with existing illness or CO sensitivity.

QUESTION: What level of carbon monoxide can be harmful?

ANSWER: According to the World Health Organization. 15-20 ppm is the first level of CO that can affect us. Levels as low as 30 ppm have been discovered to cause heart problems. Store CO alarms do not have to activate until they see 70 ppm for 3-1/2 hours.

QUESTION: What type of alarm should I have then?

ANSWER: Ask you contractor for a low-level monitor that alerts you at levels beginning at 15 ppm. Make sure it’s battery operated and visually tells you it’s working 24/7.

QUESTION: Can’t I just call my gas company if I think I have a problem?

ANSWER: Would you call the gas station if you had a problem with your car? Gas companies are well versed in fuel leaks but their main business is not appliance service and few of them are Certified CO Combustion Analyst.

QUESTION: How do I know if my contractor is a Certified CO Combustion Analyst?

ANSWER: You can ask to see his NCI wallet card plus you will recognize his level of expertise and ability to explain to you what he is doing.

Duct Cleaning Before Duct Cleaning After

Now you can get cleaner, fresher air by having your ductwork cleaned. It's effective, afforable and will provide outstanding health benefits for you and your family. You will notice the difference.

Our air duct cleaning system will not only make your home air healthier, but can also reduce your heating and cooling costs by allowing your system to operate more efficiently. Plus, a clean system will have fewer breakdowns.

A Step-by-Step Guide

Duct Cleaning1. A compressed air nozzle will be inserted into each vent and return and the compressed air will blow the dirt and debris toward the drawing vacuum hose.

2. The Operator will gain access for the vacuum hose by making 8" circular openings into the air ducts on the supply side and the return side of the system.

3. The vacuum hose will be inserted into this 8" opening to prepare for the duct cleaning system to be started which will produce a vacuum throughout the system.

4. The vacuum hose will be inserted into this 8" opening to prepare for the duct cleaning system to be started which will produce a vacuum throughout the system.

5. Our Service Sticker is applied to your system. This sticker will show the date of the air duct cleaning, the date for future cleaning and our other services.

 

Ultra–Violet Light

UV LightThe Dynamic Oxidizing Germicidal UVC System is a whole house air purification system that installs directly into the central heating and cooling system ductwork or plenum. The high intensity Dual-Radiant™ UVC "H" Lamp disinfects the air by neutralizing airborne pathogens such as bacteria, viruses and mold. According to the EPA, the combined use of filtration and germicidal UVC light is an effective means of preventing the distribution of airborne viruses in occupied spaces.

 

 

Whole–House Humidifier

HumidifierWith the proper level of humidity in your home, you will feel more comfortable and breathe easier. You can eliminate that dry eye, nose and throat feeling you have when you wake up in the morning. Humidity also reduces or eliminates static electricity. It protects the investment in your home and your furniture because proper humidity prevents wood from cracking and peeling.

A flow-through humidifier can be easily added to any forced air heating system. The advantage with this type of humidifier is that it provides humidity without breeding or spreading mold or mildew. This is in contrast to the humidifiers that use a reservoir where water can stagnate--a perfect environment for mold and mildew growth. A flow-through humidifier is easy to maintain. It has no moving parts and is designed to operate with no mineral or mold buildup.